Technology in the Classroom and Digital Nativisim



   

Image result for technology in the classroom
     Teachers and students can use technology for millions of reasons. Students tend to use technology for the ease of consolidation that happens when you use technology. When most students take notes, they often use Microsoft Word or another word processing application which tends to be accessible across their multiple devices, such as computers, phones, and even watches. Most teachers that I have seen use technology use it for very similar reasons, they like how it keeps all of their things together as opposed to paper copies that can often get lost. The use of technology in the classroom makes it easy for teachers to grade hundreds of tests in mere seconds and add it to the grade book almost simultaneously. Students often prefer this because there is no waiting time with scores.


     The ISTE Standards for Educators is really quite achievable in the modern age. The only issue that I may see arise from the standards is that if a school is not well equipped with technology, there may problems with actually achieving the goals set forth. What is good about this though is that many of students in a school that may be ill-equipped will more than likely have a cell phone that you may be able to help encourage using in the classroom in different ways. One of the most meaningful standards to me would be number 5, Designer. This standard puts forth that "educators design authentic, learner-driven activities and environments that recognize and accommodate learner variability." This is so important in the classroom. Many students are not able to learn through a lecture or even discussion. There are many different people out in the world, each with different abilities and variables when it comes to learning so we must accommodate them and encourage individual learning. I can honestly say that I do not see any standard that I would struggle with or would need help. I am a large proponent of using technology in the classroom to encourage students to learn without having me talk at them for an hour. This being said, I do not think of technology as a requirement for students due to the many different socio-economic statuses that may be present in my future classroom. In a perfect world, the school would provide a very base-level amount of technology so there is an equal opportunity in the classroom but unfortunately, that is not the case.


Image result for old man and technology      The label "digital native" is accurate to a certain point that most of today's youth does not know or remember a time without technology. It does have some implications and some undertones that are not as positive as I like. A digital native is someone who was born after the big technology explosion of the 90s. There is some difference between how I see my older professor approach technology and how I approach it. My older professor will often approach it as a nuisance that is impeding them from doing everything. They will often expect the students to be able to help if there is any sort of malfunction or if they do not know how to do something. The way I approach technology is often with excitement of how our society is progressing. Although, I do tend to see some greed that is arising from it but there will always be something that will cause people to become greedy. The way my professors approach technology often humbles me to how recently we have progressed into this technological age. I anticipate that I will likely be able to relate at least somewhat easier to my future students since my view of technology is not so far skewed as many of my current teachers.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your writing and really appreciate the illustration. :)

    I agree with you that the standards do not cover all scenarios. However, it can serve as a good framework of thinking and a criteria of evaluation for us to reflect on the usage of technology. My reflection on those standards is standards of educational technologies is not about technologies but it is about education (the learning goal).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts