Flipped Classroom, Open Sources, and Progress

The flipped classroom is a model of teaching where students are required to watch videos of the lesson outside of class, read the textbook, even complete tests and homework discussing the new material before coming to class where the new material will be discussed. This model is not one that I would prefer mainly due to the fact that it does place a lot of responsibility on the student who may not take away what they need from the reading and other materials that are necessary in truly understanding the subject matter. This model can also be viewed as "lazy teaching" as the teacher is not required to fully go over the material and only just answer any lingering questions the students may have  after reviewing the material. Most of the work for the teacher comes in preparing the materials which can always be reused for years to come. Linked below is a video that explains further the "flipped classroom" model. Some of the principles of flipped classrooms are important such as the student being prepared to discuss the topic. The main issue with this is that if a student is not prepared or does not review the material for any reason, they are unable to participate in the classroom discussion. In a students view as well, it may not be necessary to come to class anymore because they will no longer need the teacher and just depend on the materials. This would be a great start for an online class but not one that is necessary for a class that meets in-person.


Open Source Technology is any technology with its source code open to change. People that use open source software are usually programmers who are intending the software to be used for one purpose. One benefit to this software is the ability to fix any bugs that may exist without having to wait for an update to the system, especially if the system is necessary in running a business. This technology is often seen being used in retail stores and businesses because the programmer can easily disable any actions on the server that are not necessary to execute the job, improving productivity and limiting any distractions that may arise. There are also different licenses that allow for more or less modification to the software, increasing in price as amount of needed modification increases. This allows for more freedom when budgeting mainly due to the fact that many other software programs  have only one price tag and do not work on a tier system. For more information, please go to: https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-open-source-software-2071941

Working on the PowerPoint taught me many skills that I did not previously have. This was also the one portion of the class that I was expecting to learn the least. When I was younger, I would often create quizzes on PowerPoint and would link the answers to a separate slide show which, while it did work, it would require having both slide shows downloaded which would always lead to issues. Now that I know how to keep it all in one show, this has helped enormously. Disabling the click will also help in teaching because I can have the students follow along in the PowerPoint without getting ahead of me. I have seen this become an issue in many lectures that I have attended and I feel as though this will aid in the issue. There is really not much that I did not like in all honesty and I felt that both were incredibly helpful.

Comments

  1. Programmers are not the only ones who use open materials, although this idea does come from computer science world I believe. There is a growing trend here in US that education is going open. All materials in EME2040 will become OER next fall and we will be working on these during the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment